The microPREP™ PRO system by 3D Micromac was developed to provide efficient laser sample preparation fitted to the needs of microstructure diagnostics and failure diagnostics. The traditional FIB workflow for preparing samples realizes tremendous speed improvements and lower FIB tool wear and tear by completing a roughing step prior to final FIB processing. Therefore, with microPREP™ PRO material samples can be prepared effectively and economically by using an ultra-short pulse laser.
microPREP™ PRO allows to create complex and 3D-shaped samples to enable more comprehensive analysis of certain structures like in advanced packages, such as through silicon vias (TSVs), or even complete systems-in-package (SiP).
Furthermore, it is ideal to provide larger-sized samples with micron-level precision. The integrated overview camera assists in navigating on larger samples – the high-definition process camera allows for exact positioning.
Moreover, the application of a pico-second laser ensures virtually no structural damage and no elemental contamination of the material. In addition, microPREP™ PRO’s novel approach features substantially higher ablation rates in comparison to purely ion-beam-based processes.
The modular software design of microPREP™ ensures high flexibility for machining of samples for a broad range of microstructure diagnostics techniques. Based on machine-provided and customer-designed parameter-setups (recipes) microPREP™ PRO provides the best technology for sample preparation for:
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM),
- Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM),
- X-ray Microscopy (XRM),
- Atom-Probe Tomography (APT)
Through ongoing development more and more areas of application are appearing on the market, in which microPREP™ PRO is able to assist in processing sample preparation for material analysis. Apart from mere preparation, samples can also be laser marked for easy tracking by microPREP™ PRO.
Features and Highlights
microPREP™ Features and Highlights:
- Free-form or box milling and line cut for quick access to the area of interest
- Loading any kind of geometry into the system
- Preparing cylindrical samples for XRM and Synchrotron applications with the rotation tool
- Multiple samples in one run enable more throughput
- Motorized stages to find the area of interest as fast as possible
- Recipe-driven Software for fast and easy sample preparation
- Navigating with the overview camera to the area of interest
- Cleaning samples during or after the process to have samples ready for the next step
- Upgradeable for coming options
By using ultra-short pulse laser microPREP™ PRO is best suited for sample preparation. Key benefits of micro-machining with ultra-short pulsed lasers are particularly low structural damage, high power densities, and targeted precision on the micron scale. Thus, microPREP™ PRO is perfect for laser cutting and local laser thinning in metals, semiconductors, ceramics, as well as compounds and polymers.
microPREP™ PRO enables high-volume sample preparation for microstructure diagnostics and failure analysis. Furthermore, the integrated CO2 Snow Jet and the additional overview camera helps you to reduce your time to sample even more.
Suitable Applications include:
- Laser cutting and individual sample preparation
- SEM- and micro-analysis
- Sample preparation for micro mechanical testing
- In-plane and cross section for TEM
- based on microPREP XL-Chunk stage
- X-Ray Microscopy sample preparation
- Pre-shaped APT samples
Rotate Stage for XRM / APT Sample Prep
SnowJet CO2 Debris Cleaning